Joint statement on gold
- European Central Bank
- Oesterreichische Nationalbank
- Banque Nationale de Belgique
- Suomen Pankki
- Banque de France
- Deutsche Bundesbank
- Central Bank of Ireland
- Banca d´Italia
- Banque centrale du Luxembourg
- De Nederlandsche Bank
- Banco de Portugal
- Banco de España
- Sveriges Riksbank
- Schweizerische Nationalbank
- Bank of England
In the interest of clarifying their intentions with respect to their gold holdings, the undersigned institutions make the following statement:
- Gold will remain an important element of global monetary reserves.
- The undersigned institutions will not enter the market as sellers, with the exception of already decided sales.
- The gold sales already decided will be achieved through a concerted programme of sales over the next five years. Annual sales will not exceed approximately 400 tons and total sales over this period will not exceed 2,000 tons.
- The signatories to this agreement have agreed not to expand their gold leasings and their use of gold futures and options over this period.
- This agreement will be reviewed after five years.